Re: (PM) Remote POP Management

Josh Richards (jrichard@livingston.com)
Wed, 20 May 1998 16:49:55 -0700 (PDT)

On 20 May 1998, Lil' Feet wrote:

> > Yes we used/sold dozens of PM 11's specifically for this purpose.
> >
> > > you can't use the 'attach' command. If you don't use a PM-11 what do you
> > > use? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
> >
> > Set up the device-service as telnet and use ports 10001 and up (security
> > telnet ports). or just 6001 and up.
> >
> > Then you just telnet <boxname or ip number> <port # of the port you want>
>
> The problem is that I'm trying to avoid telneting to the equipment (except
> for the pm-11). Several times a machine will not respond for telnet,
> however you are able to console login with a serial cable. Is what you
> are saying doing this? Perhaps I don't quite understand.

Yes, that is what he described. He was referring to the fact you'd telnet
to the PM servering as your "management box". On a PM certain TCP ports
would be getting mapped directly to async interfaces which would
presumably be attached to the console ports of all of the devices you want
to manage.

-jr

----
Josh Richards - <jrichard@livingston.com> - <josh@lucent.com>
[Beta Engineer] - LUCENT Technologies - Remote Access Business Unit
<URL:http://www.livingston.com/> * <URL:http://www.lucent.com/dns/>