Re: (PM) Remote POP

Josh Richards (jrichard@livingston.com)
Wed, 20 May 1998 14:51:25 -0700 (PDT)

On 20 May 1998, Scott Rothgaber wrote:

> I'm currently investigating a remote POP. My current setup is a single PM3
> fed by PRI, using FR for bandwidth (separate CSU and router, not the PM3).
> Based on what I've been told, the best way to do this is to get a PM3
> somewhere in the new city with a local PRI, then backhaul the bandwidth
> here via FR.

For the remote POP are you going to use the PM-3 for the WAN routing back
to your central-site?

> Here's where I'm temporarily confused. The way it was explained to me by
> BS, the bandwidth from the remote PM3 would go out its pipe, come across
> the cloud (PVC) to this POP, down my pipe then right back out to the
> cloud. Seems like that would choke the pipe here unnecessarily.
>
> My question is this: Can the bandwidth from the remote PM3 just go out to
> the cloud, period? Is there any reason that the data must come here first?
> The only thing that comes to mind is RADIUS authentication. The remote
> unit will use the RADIUS servers here. Are passwords and the shared
> secret sent in the clear?

Go out the cloud to where? Yes, if you have arrangements with your
upstream you may be able to terminate the other end of the PVC at their
site or you simply run it back to your central POP. You can do it either
way. Usually the more conventional way is to run all of your POPs back to
your own central POP. You just happen to be using Frame Relay to go to
your upstream also, at the moment.

The problem I'd see if you connect each POP directly to your upstream, is
you are going to have to pay them another individual connection fee for
every POP you add, as well as not being able to take advantage of possible
future upgrades to your bandwidth at your central POP. You'll also most
likely are going to lose out on any custom routing you'd want to do, since
your "network" would then encompass several fairly autonomous systems
(unless your provider does some weird things) that are divided up with
with networks (your upstream) not under your administrative control.

-jr

----
Josh Richards - <jrichard@livingston.com> - <josh@lucent.com>
[Beta Engineer] - LUCENT Technologies - Remote Access Business Unit
<URL:http://www.livingston.com/> * <URL:http://www.lucent.com/dns/>