Re: (PM) when will 3.8 be ready?

Andrew Doolittle (andy@livingston.com)
Mon, 18 May 1998 19:21:45 -0700

At 04:14 PM 5/18/98 -0400, Christopher Masto wrote:
>On Sat, May 16, 1998 at 01:16:19AM -0700, Josh Richards wrote:
>> Officially, it is not recommended that you run a beta release on any
>> production box and if you do, you do so at your own risk. Obviously, many
>> people do still run it on any box they happen to have lying around, and
>> that is fine as long as you bear in mind we always put the word *beta* in
>> there for a reason. :-)
>
>Hopefully you put it in there for what it has traditionally meant:
>"Based on our internal testing, this works pretty well, so we'd like
>the general public to help us test it out. In return for your help,
>we'll work with you to solve the problems you find and keep you informed
>of our progress.", as opposed to what Netscape and Microsoft use it for:
>"Here's an unfinished and unsupported prerelease version. If you find
>a bug, we don't care."

Actually they say that for the released version that you pay for. Their
Beta means "It compiled. You find problems, deal with it." As far as I
know that's not what we mean 8-)

>--
> Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>
> Director of Operations, NetMonger Communications, Inc.
> +1-516-221-6664 http://www.netmonger.net/ info@netmonger.net
>
> People used to put funny quotes in their signatures.
>-

andy
++++

NOC Advocate andy@livingston.com
Lucent Technologies, Remote Access Business Unit (510)737-2151
4464 Willow Road http://www.livingston.com
Pleasanton, CA 94588 http://www.lucent.com