Re: (PM) 3.8beta status update....

Josh Richards (jrichard@livingston.com)
Mon, 18 May 1998 19:39:21 -0700 (PDT)

On 16 May 1998, John Vozza wrote:

> I realize it is a beta and I'm aware of the associated risks of running
> beta software. What is strange is the lack of updates since several
> problems have been identified ie: the USR v.42 issue which if I recall
> appeared once before in the 3.7 series.

Yes this is being worked on, along with several other issues (A-Law V.90
support, modem dialout, etc) before we release the next Beta. Also,
RADIUS accounting has a minor bug where in some situations the User-Name
is logged as "admin" when it should actually say the true login name used
for that session. And of course there is SLIP.

Several people have reported reboots with 3.8b15, which they did not
experience with 3.8b13 so that is being looked into, although this has
been unreproducable (so far) and I don't personally have any more
information on this or what is causing it, they've been very isolated
cases, AFAIK.

So:

3.8b13 seems to be pretty rock-solid for everybody, although lacking in
V.90 support obviously.

3.8b15 - With the new V.90 support, several old modem issues were
brought out, that had previously been corrected in earlier releases of
ComOS. This are being corrected as I write this (along with further
v.90 "tweaks"). The majority have people have reported this release as
being very stable for them.

> Just making an observation thats all. Not once in my previous post did I
> demand anything! (Nor would I, Livingcent is doing a fine overall job in
> my book)

Understood. Beta releases always seem to stir things up some. ;-)

-jr

----
Josh Richards - <jrichard@livingston.com> - <josh@lucent.com>
[Beta Engineer] - LUCENT Technologies - Remote Access Business Unit
<URL:http://www.livingston.com/> * <URL:http://www.lucent.com/dns/>