Re: (PM) when will 3.8 be ready?

Christopher Masto (chris@netmonger.net)
Mon, 18 May 1998 16:14:29 -0400

On Sat, May 16, 1998 at 01:16:19AM -0700, Josh Richards wrote:
> Officially, it is not recommended that you run a beta release on any
> production box and if you do, you do so at your own risk. Obviously, many
> people do still run it on any box they happen to have lying around, and
> that is fine as long as you bear in mind we always put the word *beta* in
> there for a reason. :-)

Hopefully you put it in there for what it has traditionally meant:
"Based on our internal testing, this works pretty well, so we'd like
the general public to help us test it out. In return for your help,
we'll work with you to solve the problems you find and keep you informed
of our progress.", as opposed to what Netscape and Microsoft use it for:
"Here's an unfinished and unsupported prerelease version. If you find
a bug, we don't care."

--
	       Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>
	Director of Operations, NetMonger Communications, Inc.