Re: (PM) Digitial Padding?

Stephen Zedalis (tintype@exis.net)
Mon, 18 May 1998 15:03:06 -0400 (EDT)

Get a Rockwell Technical Manual. What they mean to Rockwell may not be
what they mean to Robotics, Lucent, or for that matter to us. What they
"MAY" mean is... Line quality may be a rough indicator of SNR (signal to
noise ratio or how many decibels higher the signal is from the noise in
dB). Recieve Level may be the recieve signal strength in decibels (USR on
their reports recommends a -17dB I believe or higher - higher is lower
absolute value). Digital padding is how much padding or reduction the
telco has put in the line to reduce echos etc. (Some get better
performance with 0 padding, some are better with 3 db of padding)
Local retrain counts and remote retrain counts are very important.
Last line is probably noting that V.8bis and K56Flex were used on last
connection and the internal version number.

You have to realize that most of this was not meant for the consumer (or
the ISP for that matter) but for Rockwell's techs.

But looking at the numbers, depending on how much time was spent online,
looks like a "good" K56Flex connection. I note decent speed and zero
retrains on either end.