Re: (PM) Power Outage and old password

Samudra E. Haque (haque@pradeshta.net)
Mon, 18 May 1998 13:29:45 -0500

Adam Goryachev wrote:

> Hmmm, do you need to switch off the generator to fill it up with fuel?? (like a
> car), I assume you just drain the UPS for this period..., How efficient is a
> generator for supplying electricity (ie, fuel costs compared to electric
> company costs). How long does one 'tank' of fuel last?? And finally, where do
> you keep it?? Obviously you need some sort of ventilation, we are on the 19th
> floor, and it would be difficult to do this sort of thing....

well, we worried about it very much on the first time when our
national
electric grid FAILED for nearly 24 hours. There was not a volt
of electricity being distributed anywhere (come now, we are not a
small country with 130 million people).

We had (thankfully!) recently installed a no break UPS, auto
changeover switch and an external generator to our facility a few
weeks ago. The set was working fine, as expected.

In order to extend the running time of the generator, we simply shut
off
the generator and ran on DC batteries of the UPS for while (that is a
6KVA
UPS) and then back onto the generator (9KW) without a hitch.

But watch out for:

hot refueling problem spot. Generators are hot, and fuel tanks
sometimes get hotter than hell. So don't start a fire, eh?

have a emergency cutoff and test switch installed in the
path for the supply, as well as for the generator, to isolate
the input/output during "re-fueling". This will prevent
accidental starts when you are in the process of draining the
tank with the lid open, or filling it up and the fumes blow
around the generator.

-samudra-