Re: Re[2]: (PM) Power Outage and old password

David Raistrick (keen@ssns.c-plusnet.com)
Mon, 18 May 1998 00:12:23 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 17 May 1998, Scott Rothgaber wrote:

> Gettin' pretty far off topic here, but WTH... It's pretty slow tonight!

To get farther off topic.......:)

> visible on the roof. Railroad locomotives are also powered this way. Each
> wheel is attached to an electric motor, which are powered by a generator
> driven by a massive 16-cylinder deisel. So, I imagine that it can be
> fairly efficient, or you wouldn't see it in such widespread use.

There is a very valid reason for using electric motors to power trains.
An electric motor does not need to spin up to speed, to begin producing
power. It has it's full potential at 0 RPM...

If they used an internal combustion engine, there would be a WHOLE lot of
high rev'in clutch slip'in going on, to get that huge thing moving...Not
to mention the SIZE of the IC engine..or engines. And getting and keeping
the multiple engines in sync.....etc etc..:)

Effecieny is not always the main objective..:)

> Could be difficult... Obviously, you need to vent the exhaust. You need
> ventilation to keep the unit cool. Generators produce a boatload of heat.
> How many more floors to the roof? Perhaps you could mount a unit there.

hmm. The roof is a good place, too. Or the parking lot.:)
(or like we do...Drive the trailer up to the back door, unplug the UPS
from the wall, plug it into the massive extension cord....hmm!:)

--
David Raistrick
Sys Admin, Communications Plus, Grovetown Ga    http://www.c-plusnet.com