Re: (PM) FAS or NFAS?

NOT a LE employee (livingston@iav.com)
Mon, 11 May 1998 14:35:24 -1000 (HST)

On Mon, 11 May 1998, Mike Carlson wrote:

> Quick question...I have a PM3 that I am adding a second PRI to and
> the telco wants to know whether it should be configured FAS or NFAS. I
> told them FAS, since I think the PM3 doesn't support NFAS yet. As she
> described it each PRI would have its own D-channel and calls from the
> first PRI would overflow into the second PRI. Did I get it straight or
> should I call them back and change it?

After some thinking, it behooves you not to go into NFAS unless you have
quite a few PRI spans... the ability to get an additional channel is
outweighed by
1) having the telcom configure it properly for NFAS
2) not having each line have a D channel for security (like if your D
channel goes bonk on NFAS say bye bye to more than one span of B channels,
yeah yeah there is a backup but do we trust the telco? ;)
3) tarriffing possibly more expensive to get just one more channel...

easiest way is to check the PRI installation guide on www.livingston.com
just read through it from top to bottom when you talk to your telco when
provisioning the line...

--
Aloha from Paradise,

Sherwood