Re: (PM) VSAT to Portmaster 3

Joe Hartley (jh@metheny.brainiac.com)
Sun, 10 May 1998 09:57:01 -0400 (EDT)

!Abdur Rahman Howlader! <shakil@Bangla.Net> wrote:
> I'm also not sure. But the PM3's hande the digital chunk and my provider
> will also provide digital chunk. but the problem is it will only be 64K. So
> if I plug it into t1 line what will happen?
>
> Do you have any experience running PM3's with a low bandwidth.

No, I don't. In fact, I've yet to get our PRI lines from the telco, so
most of my PM3 knowledge is hypothetical at this point, but I've learned
that the PM3 has been designed to provide a very specific service, which
is to connect to T1 or E1 lines, accept incoming calls, and provide routing
functionality.

I've used PM2's extensively, and they were very flexible due to their
design; a PM2r has RS-232 serial ports and a V.35 WAN port. If I wanted
to hook up a device tha had either of those connections, I could get to
work. I used to have a satellite USENET feed coming in on a PM2 port!

The PM3 isn't nearly as flexible; Lucent may create a special add-in card
for a function (like the T1 and STAC compression cards), but without one,
it's impossible to have the PM3 do something it's not designed for.

This is what will keep the PM2's around for a while; there's always going to
be some oddjob they serve better than a PM3; we're going to have at least
one in each of our POPs for a long time to come.