Re: (PM) VSAT to Portmaster 3

Samudra E. Haque (haque@pradeshta.net)
Sun, 10 May 1998 11:24:48 -0500

Joe Hartley wrote:

> !Abdur Rahman Howlader! <shakil@bangla.net> wrote:
> > I'm interested to have a Livingstone PortMaster 3. Can you tell me whether
> > I will be able to interface it with my 64K or 128K VSAT channel (for
> > connecting to my upstream provider) ? I want to use PM3's T1 /E1 port.
>
> I'll take a stab at this, though I'm not at all familiar with VSAT.
> The T1/E1 port is hardwired to an internal CSU/DSU. Unless the wire
> you're plugging into it is providing the signalling it expects (such
> as that found on a T1 line), the answer is most likely no.

you're correct. In this case, the VSAT is usually just a link
connecting
point-point. In the user's case, I believe that the link is from
Bangladesh
to HK, at 64/128 Kbps. There is no frac-E1 service on that link, and
unlikely
to be. It's just a PPP/SDLC link feeding into HKTI and then onto the
remote internet service provider.

What they really need is a frac-E1 or E1 into the DXC of the nearest
telco sw. This fact actually eluded me until responses from the list
recently helped me in learning telco language.

-samudra-