Re: (PM) Hosed Host Routes

Josh Richards (jrichard@livingston.com)
Sat, 9 May 1998 02:13:46 -0700 (PDT)

On 4 May 1998, R Gibbons wrote:

> I have a PM2E-20 with a 5BRI module, 16Mb RAM running ComOS 3.7.2. I've
> been noticing that I have trouble pinging certain (random) users on this
> box. For example :
>
> PM3> ping user142.empirenet.com
> No answer from user142.empirenet.com (205.164.88.242)
>
> but then I do the following to the same user (within 15 secs) :
>
> ping user142
> user142 (205.164.88.242) is alive
>
> I also try to trace to these users from our network and it gets as far
> as the PM and dies. The users are connected and I don't see an increase
> in port errors. I assumed the problem was probably a client modem issue
> but it appears that too many of these are showing up on this particular
> box. Anybody have some ideas on what might be going on.

There are timeouts set when doing pings (ICMP) and traceroutes (ICMP&UDP)
on the packets that get sent out. Most likely the user is busy
transferring data and the latency is very high, so the reply packets are
not making it back in time. A timeout can also occur if the client
(users) computer is busy, since it may take a while before it acknowledges
the request and responses to it.

Other causes, could be modem renegotiations (as you said), packet filters
(if configured), and routing protocol updateconflicts (more then one host
on your LAN is saying it knows a better route to those users), etc.

Are those users complaining about network connectivity?

-jr

----
Josh Richards - <jrichard@livingston.com> - [Beta Engineer]
LUCENT Technologies - Remote Access Business Unit
(formerly Livingston Enterprises, Inc.)
http://www.livingston.com/