Re: (PM) PM-3 hardware design shortcut

Kyle Platts (kwplat1@uswest.com)
Thu, 07 May 1998 09:44:38 -0500

Russ Taylor wrote:

> On Wed, 6 May 1998, Roy wrote:
>
> > The PM3 derives all the T1 clocking from line0. Today line0 failed
> > (open wire from the telco) and line1 also went down due to a loss of
> > clocking. After all the noise about NFAS and reliability (lose the
> > D-channel and lose both PRIs), the PM3 hardware design shortcut will
> > kill you just as dead.
>
> I realize this requires physical access to the PM-3, but pull both lines
> out, and switch line1 to the line0 port, and you have your PRI back.

I have an easier solution. Since Lucent says that Line1 will run
functionally solo, just simply unplug Line0 and put a looping plug on it
(towards the telco). Be sure to tell the telco you have a hard loop on
it until the problem is resolved, then plug Line0 back in.

This does require physical acess to the unit, but it's pretty easy to
walk someone thorugh how to disconnect Line0 and skip the looping plug
if need be.

--
Kyle Platts
Network Engineer