Re: (PM) 3.8b15 and no authentication

Josh Richards (jrichard@livingston.com)
Tue, 5 May 1998 12:41:33 -0700 (PDT)

On 4 May 1998, Alex Weeks wrote:
> Ironically, it was 3.8b15 that did it. Here's the issue, a couple of users
> can call, the modems negotiate, but then they are not authenticated. Change
> the phone number to a box that is running 3.7.2 and everything is fine
> again. With some users this problem is repeatable 100% of the time, with
> others it happens 3 or 4 out of 5 times. Then, of course, some not affected
> by it at all.
>
> Both boxes authenticate with the same RADIUS server. On one of the boxes
> where we were having trouble we knocked it back to 3.7.2 and everything was
> fixed. In other words, the Portmaster configuration seems to be fine.
>
> Looking at the debug output it looks as if PPP starts and then nothing.
> Eventually the modems give up.
>
> Anyone else seen this? Any ideas what is going on?

Any pattern to what type of modems these users have? A certain client
chipset? Certain rev. of client chipset? Etc. What types of connections
are these and what sort of speeds are they seeing? Under a "show mX"
(where X == the number shown under a "show modems" for their port), what
do the stats for the call look like?

--jr

----
Josh Richards - <jrichard@livingston.com> - [Beta Engineer]
LUCENT Technologies - Remote Access Business Unit
(formerly Livingston Enterprises, Inc.)
http://www.livingston.com/