Re: (PM) RE: default gateway from PM3?

Doug Ingraham (dpi@rapidnet.com)
Tue, 5 May 1998 07:56:58 -0600 (MDT)

On Tue, 5 May 1998, Jason wrote:

> Hi,
> I am a PM3 newbie so forgive my ignorance, but can the PM3 be
> set to have a failover default gateway, so that if the default gateway
> does not respond it will route to a 'secondary' IP? Or would this be
> better achieved a different way?

This is a complicated question and the answer would depend on your exact
situation. If your PM-3 is the border router and it is dual homed using
BGP4 as the routing protocol, then yes, it will do this. If the PM-3 is
being used as a NAS and is running OSPF and there are multiple routes to
the gateway then if one of the links falls down it will of course
automatically switch over.

Doug Ingraham The best defense against logic is ignorance.
Rapid City, SD
USA