Re: (PM) Excessive Renegotations w/ v.90?

John W Baxter (jwblist@olympus.net)
Sun, 3 May 1998 21:10:44 -0700

At 15:05 -0700 5/3/98, James Laszko wrote:
>I've got one of our techs who's got a v.90 USR Sportster at home that is
>experiencing an unusually high number of renegotiations whenever he dials
>in. When he first connects, he'll connect at about 48000. After
>transfering 100K or so, he'll renegotate (Amber shows his TR speed 50666)
>and then drops down to the low 30K's, and transfer 10-20K more, and then
>renegotiate again (50666 again) and drop to anywhere from 30-48K. This
>continues about 20 or so times (at this point he's normally got about
>500-600K transferred) and it stabalizes at 48000 and chugs along. Anyone
>else seeing this?

I am seeing similar renegotiations on the test USR X2/V90 modem I bought
recently. They are particularly evident when I call from home (where I use
modems, and from which I work). "Home" is in the 360-437 exchange, which
is a "Flex-free zone", although V.90 does limp along (with the
renegotiations).

In about 5 cases, the renegotiations were particularly frequent (most
packets seemed to trigger them), and those connections eventually dropped
(the renegotiation count was in the low three figures). Removing other
load from the phone line seems to have helped.

Here's the connection I'm using at the moment (it began at 48000, and went
to 44000 before I could check it in the PortMaster):

show m0
Card Type: Lucent Chipset
State: ACTIVE
Active Port: S3
Transmit Rate: 44000
Receive Rate: 21600
Connection Type: LAPM/V42BIS
Chars Sent: 100966564
Chars Received: 13096051
Retrains: 0
Renegotiations: 18

--John

--
John Baxter   jwblist@olympus.net      Port Ludlow, WA, USA
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.  Teach him to fish,