Re: (PM) Problem establishing a T1 connection with an IRX-111

Doug Ingraham (dpi@rapidnet.com)
Sat, 28 Feb 1998 08:31:59 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 27 Feb 1998, J Rowley wrote:

> I'm installing a new IRX with ComOS 3.7.2R and am attempting to connect to
> our upstream (MCI) via a T1, but all it does is show in the Status field
> is "connecting" and my TSU is giving me PLL alarms (unable to sync up to
> selected clock source).

This sounds like you might have the unit set to clock from the IRX which
does not generate clock. MCI should be generating the clock and
everything else should slave to it.

> I've also put the TSU into local loopback, but I do not recieve any
> "LCP: Apparent Loop" messages while debug is set to 0x51. The clocking is
> set for network, the RS-232/v.35 switch is set to v.35, etc.

Hmmm. Blows that idea I guess.

> What I do see over and over (while not in loop-back) are
> LCP_CONFIGURE_REQUEST (see below). So, I try swapping the v.35 cable and
> using another Adtran TSU and it does the same thing, including the PLL
> alarms.
>
> I even tried the Adtran we are currently using on our cisco with the IRX
> v.35 cable, and no go. PLL alarm, and abort errors on the wan port on the
> IRX.

Is the cisco configured for encapsulation PPP or defaulted to HDLC? The
IRX needs PPP so if MCI is sending HDLC it would work on the cisco and not
the IRX.

> This same T1 syncs up to our cisco. Something tells me I've either done
> something dumb in an early-morning stupor, or something's broken. Any
> ideas what could be wrong?
>
> Some of my debug 0x51 output:
> Sending LCP_CONFIGURE_REQUEST to port S1 of 10 bytes containing:
> 01 05 00 0a 05 06 06 dc e6 4b
> Sending LCP_CONFIGURE_REQUEST to port S1 of 10 bytes containing:
> 01 06 00 0a 05 06 06 dc e6 4b
> Sending LCP_CONFIGURE_REQUEST to port S1 of 10 bytes containing:
> 01 07 00 0a 05 06 06 dc e6 4b
> Sending LCP_CONFIGURE_REQUEST to port S1 of 10 bytes containing:
> 01 08 00 0a 05 06 06 dc e6 4b
> Sending LCP_CONFIGURE_REQUEST to port S1 of 10 bytes containing:
> 01 09 00 0a 05 06 06 dc e6 4b
> Sending LCP_CONFIGURE_REQUEST to port S1 of 10 bytes containing:
> 01 10 00 0a 05 06 06 dc e6 4b
> Sending LCP_CONFIGURE_REQUEST to port S1 of 10 bytes containing:
> 01 11 00 0a 05 06 06 dc e6 4b
> [...]
>
> The IRX is setup as follows:
> ----------------- Current Status - Port S1 ----------------------
> Input: 135387 Abort Errors: 24581
> Output: 7798 CRC Errors: 0
> Pending: 0 Overrun Errors: 0
> TX Errors: 0 Frame Errors: 12
> Modem Status: DCD- CTS+
>
> Active Configuration Default Configuration
> -------------------- ---------------------
> Port Type: Netwrk Netwrk (Hardwired)
> Line Speed: Ext 1536K Ext Clock
> Modem Control: off off
> Remote Host: aaa.bbb.ccc.xx aaa.bbb.ccc.xx
> Local Address: aaa.bbb.ccc.xy aaa.bbb.ccc.xy
> Netmask: 255.255.255.252 255.255.255.252
> Interface: Unassigned (PPP,Routing)
> Mtu: 1500 1500
> Dial Group: 0
>
> System Name: router
> IP Gateway: aaa.bbb.ccc.xx
> Gateway Metric: 1
> Default Routing: Broadcast, Listen (On)
> OSPF Priority: 1
> OSPF Router ID: 208.143.228.11
> Name Service: DNS
> Name Server: fiber.bitstorm.net
> Domain: bitstorm.net
> Telnet Access Port: 23
> Loghost: noc.bitstorm.net
> Maximum PMconsole: 1
> Assigned Address: 0.0.0.0
> RADIUS Server: 0.0.0.0
> Alternate Server: 0.0.0.0
> Accounting Server: 0.0.0.0
> Alt. Acct. Server: 0.0.0.0
> PPP Authentication: PAP: on CHAP: on
> Disabled Modules: BGP

I normally run with modem control on but you have no DCD right now so that
won't change anything. There is something not right with the TSU that is
isn't showing DCD or with the port or cable(s). Try it on S3 if this is a
IRX-114. Perhaps there is something wrong with the S1 port.

You probably already thought of the above. Best wishes.

Doug Ingraham From the Ferengi Rules of Acquisition.
Rapid City, SD #34 "Peace is good for business."
USA #35 "War is good for business."