Re: (PM) OR-M and PCMCIA modems

Jake Messinger (jake@ams.com)
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 23:41:17 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 27 Feb 1998, David Giller wrote:

> I have two questions about OR products. We use Portmasters
> here, but have never used ORs, and I need to know what their
> limitations are WRT full-blown PMs.

they work great, cept cant do bgp, basically because of the port limit of
the or, the compression is SOFTWARE no HW like the PM 3.

> We have a client who wants to make a mobile demonstration
> unit consisting of several laptops connected to some kind of
> access router on two analog lines to either an ISP or
> some dedicated lines in their main office.

OR works fine.

> The important thing is that they need analog lines, so they
> can just borrow two land lines from wherever they are
> demonstrating and dial in using MP or multiline load-balancing.

You coulduse an OR-M with a pc card modem and a modem on s0. Or a pm2e.

> So here are the two questions. First, and easiest, I don't
> see any reason why two OR-Ms each with a PCMCIA modem and an
> external modem couldn't MLB between each other, unless there
> is some intentional limitation in ComOS for the OR
> series. Don't ORs just look like PMs with only half
> a handful of ports? So couldn't we set up an OR-M with
> two modems in the office and another idendical set on the
> road, and get two lines worth of MLB?

yep

> Second, has anyone had any success using 56k PCMCIA and
> external modems in the OR-Ms? I'm thinking about using
> one 56k PCMCIA and one 56k external modem on the back of an
> OR-M and using it to MLB to a PM3 in our POP, and on
> via an existing frame connection to the client.

dunno.

Jake Messinger ph:713-772-6690 Livingston Var
AMS, Inc. fx:713-774-3498 Medical Billing
8300 Bissonnet #400 jake@ams.com Internet Services
Houston, Texas 77074 www.ams.com/~jake Business Management