Re: (PM) Mysterious death?

Josh Richards (jrichard@livingston.com)
Wed, 25 Feb 1998 19:15:41 -0800 (PST)

On 23 Feb 1998, Ralf Sauther wrote:
> : newest is Livingston PortMaster PM-3 ComOS 3.7.2c3
> Sorry, a typo, of course i mean 3.7.2c3.
>
> : Anyhow... you should run a logging telnet session with something like
> : pmcommand to grab memory statistics etc.... or run debug on that
> : machine... and open a ticket and give the information requested to
> : support.
> Hmm, that could be done, right. I always thought, that the PM3 has a
> hardware watchdog, which reboots that thingie after x minutes
> without any work. Too bad that there isn't :(

It does. But there is no way to deal with every conceivable problem that
may arrise.

> : I had 3.7.2c2 do some strange things as I've noted, but c3 is working
> : like a charm... (knocks on his head)...
> Some of our users reported massive performance loss (approx. 50%)
> when polling UUCP over a PPP connection in the time, where we ran
> 3.7.2c3. We reported it to MMS (our distributor), so we will wait
> for the next release.

In 3.7.2c3? Are you sure this was not the (unofficial) 3.7.2c2 release?
If it was in fact with the current release, then you will want to report
it to Support to make sure if there is an issue, that it gets dealt with
and corrected.

> OTOH i don't really believe, that this is a problem with ComOS,
> because our other two PM3's have NEVER failed since we have
> plugged in the mains. And all 3 are running 3.7.2...

----
Josh Richards - <jrichard@livingston.com> - [Beta Engineer]
LUCENT Technologies - Remote Access Business Unit
(formerly Livingston Enterprises, Inc.)
http://www.livingston.com/