Re: (PM) Postscript format of new manuals (fwd)

Jon Lewis (jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net)
Tue, 24 Feb 1998 18:31:45 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 24 Feb 1998, MegaZone wrote:

> Oh goddess please NO! Xylogics used to do this. It was HELL. There
> was no easy way to tell what updates anyone had, and users always lost
> them, put them in the wrong place, didn't bother to update all of
> their manuals, etc. In the end Xylo went to bound manuals to get
> away from this system.

Lots of the sets of books found in a typical law library are done this way
(or at least used to be). I spent several summers in my father's office
filing supplements in the various sets of books.

One big difference here is that law offices pay good money for the
supplements, and need the books up to date...so they're likely to deal
with them appropriately. Lucent probably doesn't want the expense of
sending free supplements to every registered portmaster owner.