Re: (PM) win95 PPP via RS232 cable into PM2 ?

Kai (kai@www.abest.com)
Sun, 22 Feb 1998 17:24:50 -0500 (EST)

> From: Jake Messinger <jake@ams.com>
> To: Kai <kai@www.abest.com>
> cc: portmaster-users-digest@livingston.com, support@livingston.com

^^^ someone hates me now !

> On Sun, 22 Feb 1998, Kai wrote:
>
> > I wish to hook up a win95 box into a PM2's serial port and run PPP to it.
>
> First of all why? Not that it cant be done.. just helps to know what you
> are doing.

oh, I mentioned it: my PCMCIA slots on my laptop are busted, hence: no
ethernet. I don't want to use an external modem (I have a wireless Ricochet
which introduces a tremendous delay , too :( ) and tie up either two
phone lines or just two modems back-to-back just to get the laptop
connected whenever I am in the office: 115,200 bps on a cable should
feel so much better :)

> > The connection works correctly from a hardware point of view (e.g.: I
> > can use it via Hyperterm just fine), but it seems that the missing part
> > is a modem.inf file for a direct-cable connection. Read: a modem driver
> > that never dials, complains about the "modem" (here: cable) not returning
> > OK's in response to AT commands, not being queryable via ATI<n> , etc.
>
> You tell it to use direct cable connection and it should not look for AT

no, this is true for Hyperterm only.

If you right-click a connectoid icon and go to properties, you will
discover that a connection icon requires an installed modem in
the "Connect using" section of the "General" tab. What I have available
there are things like my Zyxel modem, the M$ VPN adaper and my Ricochet
modem, but there seems to be no way to tell it to "play dumb" with a
COM port. I cannot find a "modem" driver for a null modem connection
for Win95/NT at all, and I swear : I have been searching until my
fingers were numb!

I've been trying to hack other modem maker's .inf
files, but only get them installed to the point were they appear in
the control panel->modems, but are reported as "corrupted" when checking
the "properties" tab, and are not made available to programs throughout
the system.

This is starting to make my day-to-day OSPF/BGP network issues a real
no-brainer. Someone must have been using such a setup before...

Thanks,
bye,Kai

-- --
kai@9inch.org "Just say No" to Spam Kai Schlichting
Palo Alto, CA Sophisticated Technical Peon
Kai's SpamShield <tm> is for you - FREE! www.abest.com/~kai/spamshield.html
| |
LeasedLines-FrameRelay-IPLs-ISDN-PPPdial-Cisco-Consulting-VoiceFax-Data-Muxes
WorldWideWebAnything-Intranets-NetworkAdmin-UnixAdmin-Security-ReallyHardMath