Re: (PM) Re: [jack.rickard@boardwatch.com]

Dick St.Peters (stpeters@NetHeaven.com)
Sun, 22 Feb 1998 13:58:02 -0500

Jack Rickard writes:
> So how do you count calls made from a K56flex modem, to a K56flex port,
> that result in a NON-PCM session - a V.34 session. In other words, how to
> you differentiate between V.34 sessions from V.34 modems, and V.34 sessions
> from K56 modems that failed to establish a PCM session?

We don't. We make PCM sessions work instead. We have found every
case where flex PCM could not be made to work to be due to phone
issues - with the obvious exception of cases still in progress that
always exist with new users and new modems coming.

Making flex PCM work is usually pretty simple. Most Rockwell modems
need an "S202=32" in their init strings to talk to the Lucent flex
modems in PM3s. We've had case after case of users who couldn't
connect PCM until tech support (ours, Zoom's, Motorola's, whoever's)
told the user this. For example,

Complaint to support:
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 1998 00:45:31 -0500

I was wondering why my connection to your service is so poor. The best
I can connect to your 223-0300 56flex line is 31200.

Response from support:
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 1998 02:51:02 -0500

and you'll have a place "Extra settings" to put in a modem init
string. Try this one:
&F&K3S202=32W2

(We also asked him to try some of our other numbers.)

Response back from user:
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 1998 16:48:38 -0500

This truly is black magic. It seems to have solved my problem.

223-0300 48,48,50k
245-0300 48,50,48k
743-2620 46,46,48k
583-8150 50,52,50,52k tested extra, couldn't beleive the rate, I'm almost tempted to keep using this one....
242-0300 48,52,50k

That's just one example - an unusually well-documented one, but this
happens time after time. Long time ago we used to have to do a lot of
this kind of diddling for V.34 too - and for V.FAST before it.

When a single vendor controls both ends and sets the defaults the
same, you don't have implementation issues of this kind. You also
don't have them once an interoperating critical mass has evolved for a
standard.

--
Dick St.Peters, stpeters@NetHeaven.com
Gatekeeper, NetHeaven, Saratoga Springs, NY, 1-800-910-6671 (voice)