Re: (PM) Mysterious death?

Josh Richards (jrichard@livingston.com)
Sun, 22 Feb 1998 01:24:55 -0800 (PST)

On 21 Feb 1998, Timothy A. Gregory wrote:

> I've got 4 PM3s, all on Com OS 3.7.2c3, 2 ISDN, 2 with k56flex (which is
> showing up all 12 of my x2 racks, by the way) and one of my ISDN PM3s is
> giving me heartburn.
>
> Every once in a while - like every 2-3 weeks - it just dies. Dead. Can't
> telnet to it, can't ping it, it's not taking calls, nothing. The power is
> still on, and if you look at the little lights on the back it looks ok.
> Nothing short of turning off and on at the power switch revives it. Then
> it comes up clean and runs for a few more weeks like nothing is wrong.
> The other PM3s I have have never done this, but this one has done this
> since I got it, and through a few Com OS upgrades.

Have you opened a ticket with support with this issue? Can you think of
anything this PM3 is doing different from that of the other PM3s?

> The reason this is about to become an issue is this: my office is in
> Bellevue, WA. We are opening a new point of presence in Portland, OR.
> It's in a co-location closet hosted by ELI, and I won't have anyone there
> that can simply walk in and reboot a misbehaving Portmaster. I'll have to
> make the 150 mile drive myself to do it. Icky.

I understand. This is *not* normal. I'd get a call into Support here as
soon as possible. It may or may not be an RMA issue, seeing as how your
other PM3s are not behaving the same way.

[..]

> I read somewhere that I could plug a modem into the console port. I've
> never tried it, and I don't know if it would answer when it gets like
> this. I'd be happy to give it a shot, but I don't know how to force the
> box to freeze up so I can test it before it 150 miles away.
>
> Any suggestions?

Call. :)

----
Josh Richards - <jrichard@livingston.com> - [Beta Engineer]
LUCENT Technologies - Remote Access Business Unit
(formerly Livingston Enterprises, Inc.)
http://www.livingston.com/