Re: [jack.rickard@boardwatch.com: Re: (PM) Re: Nationwide Access - Please no Dweebs (fwd)]

Jack Rickard (jack.rickard@boardwatch.com)
Fri, 20 Feb 1998 16:05:32 -0700

[The following text is in the "ISO-8859-1" character set]

We were extremely skeptical initially as well. But we could find no
rational explanation for it in over a month of looking. I can get the
version numbers of the client side modems. We checked them at the
beginning of the test and again when Rockwell came out in late January.
They were the latest publicly available firmware at that time. Rockwell
brought out the Zoom. It did not perform appreciably better. We ran a bit
of a side test with them using some special software they generated to NOT
fall back to V.34, but then it just timed out most of the time when it
couldnt' get a pcm session.

One of the problems that would seem to relate to your results was the
frequency where the modem gave up and fell back to a V.34 session. If you
look at only PCM sessions, the average would be much higher. But we often
could not get a PCM session and the call fell back to a V.34 session.
Those are definitely counted.

Before the shrill girlish screams of panic, I was very open to thoughts on
this. We couldn't get anything particularly useful from the principles
involved. We have just enough PCM calls to look like it's working, but not
enough to look like its working very well. At this point, I'm very
defensive on the whole topic. If this can break out into screams of rage
based on nothing they know, as in the case of Mr. Denninger, and the gross
accusations of malfeasance from Mr. Sasek, emotions run a wee bit too high
for much to come out of it that is productive. So we'll be very careful
with our sharing. But I am perplexed.

The perspective on modem versions was that we use the latest available.
Rockwell complained about several modem manufacturers being "slow" to
promulgate the latest code. But on arrival claimed we did indeed have the
latest.

jack