Re: (PM) Wierd Modem Problem

NOT a LE employee (livingston@iav.com)
Sat, 21 Feb 1998 21:14:54 -1000 (HST)

On Sat, 21 Feb 1998, Scott Rothgaber wrote:

> A customer had a 14.4. When I went out to set them up, it would negotiate
> forever and a day, then connect at 2400. I talked them into the Zoom, but
> it is behaving in a similar fashion. It screams forever, drops back to
> V.34, screams some more and connects at 28.8 (we got 34K once).

Use the comma trick 1 to 6 commas following the phone number. This is
for the 14.4 and some 28.8/33.6 that don't ignore the v.8 tone as they
should.

As for the Zoom someone posted that the 1.2 firmware was crap. So... if
you just want them to connect at v.34 also use the comma trick. If you
need to get the K56Flex you may have to get your digital padding adjusted.
Check through the archives about these issues. It's been covered before.

> Is this indicative of phone line problems? That's what I told them,
> considering I had just set up that guy in East BF with that Garnet
> internal that got 46K.

It could also be a phone line problem... but the only way to check this is
to take a known modem that connects up to his site and test it. Also see
if he has multiple devices on the same phoneline... answering machine,
other phones etc...

--
Aloha from Paradise,

Sherwood