Re: (PM) URGENTLY need a pmd for Linux 2.0.xx (fwd)

Samudra E. Haque (haque@pradeshta.net)
Sun, 22 Feb 1998 09:18:46 -0600

MegaZone wrote:
> re-ported. Since it is used by a rapidly shrinking percentage of users
> and investing the engineering time became a rapidly diminishing return.
> And the source has too many hooks into ComOS so it was decided that
> it would just never be released.

well, I've heard this type of derogatory sentences many times about
very good software packages that outperform commercial packages, but
may have been developed purely out of an interest to do something
for the "user community", and not just based upon programmer hours.

That is something that a public company should be careful about
making,
since it is an open invitation for competitors to capitalize upon. Or
even more, for entrepreuner programmers to provide a compatible
solution
for.

I propose that the members of the mailing list (as it is currently
being distributed) consider just voting on-line (i.e,, 1 vote
per user only) on a proposal as submitted below. Amendments might
be necessary and welcomed by private mail, if I get decently
argued messages with the subject header "IN.PMD request modification".

Bear in mind that this type of vote usually has to be overwhelmingly
in favour of any proposal, and a substantial amount of input is
usually
required to get broad based acceptance. However if say within 7 days
if
it gets no more than 25% of the list's acceptance all of the proposals
may summarily be dismissed!

Samudra Haque
Managing Director
PraDeshta Limited
Dhaka, Bangladesh
haque@pradeshta.net

Here goes,

//Proposal start//
Dear Lucent RABU (Formerely Livingston Enterprises)

We have been using various products that incorporate your technology
and have provided exemplerary service to our business. It is our
opinion that the benefits that could be achieved by your current
stock of technology developments and products under developments that
you may have published intentions to market soon will be substantially
enhanced by the inclusion of two items:

a) Recognition of the users and developers of the Linux Operating
System
as an integral and important part of the community of Lucent RABU
product range. We have noticed with regret that on many occassions
products are often provided without explicit support or testing of an
Operating System that has, without doubt, been the most successfull
internet community developed product ever. This is all the more
important for your company to consider since your product range is
targeted
primarily to corporate customers, ISPs who may mostly depend upon the
internet technology at present and for the future use through internet
networks.

b) Continued support for the IN.PMD service, or the development of an
alternative, or the release of any technical details as your
organisation
may think fit, to allow the user community of Lucent RABU to develop
their own alternative product, which they shall support and use to
compensate for the lack of available choices on your platform. It may
be also considered that the technology behind IN.PMD service is
obsolete
by your corporate standards and may be released as-is and in-toto with
no-liability and on a no-support basis for the greater good of all of
the users.

Thanking You
-------
-------