Re: [jack.rickard@boardwatch.com: Re: (PM) Re: Nationwide Access - Please no Dweebs (fwd)]

M Lyons (lyonsm@netbistro.com)
Fri, 20 Feb 1998 20:23:42 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 20 Feb 1998, Jack Rickard wrote:

> One of the problems that would seem to relate to your results was the
> frequency where the modem gave up and fell back to a V.34 session. If you
> look at only PCM sessions, the average would be much higher. But we often
> could not get a PCM session and the call fell back to a V.34 session.
> Those are definitely counted.

Yes, this could explain it. It's possible that the Rockwell client-side
modems are less willing to request a PCM connection over borderline copper
than are 3COM's clients. Unfortunately there is no way for us to tell
from our connection logs how many of the non-PCM calls were originated by
modems bearing the k56flex logo, although a quick survey of our tech
support people reveals that the most common 56k related complaint is "Why
do I only get 44k and not 56k?" (Things were not so rosy in the summer,
when modems on the shelf frequently came with pre-1.0 firmware loaded.
Fortunately, these are now extremely rare.)

IMHO: you should not have included the non-PCM connections in your
"average connect speed", since V.34 performance has nothing to do with
k56flex vs. X2 speed. The ratio of failed PCM connections is interesting
information (and itself quite embarassing for Rockwell, if true), but
should be listed seperately and not used to imply that k56flex is slower.
"Not as fast" is subtly different from "not as likely to work."

-m