Re: [jack.rickard@boardwatch.com: Re: (PM) Re: Nationwide Access - Please no Dweebs (fwd)]

Christopher Masto (chris@netmonger.net)
Fri, 20 Feb 1998 23:08:28 -0500

On Fri, Feb 20, 1998 at 02:08:33PM -0800, M Lyons wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Feb 1998, Dick St.Peters wrote:
>
> > We see some connections below 40k; we log connections ranging from 32k
> > to 54k. This morning I picked a range of days and analyzed them. Our
> > last 3785 flex connections have averaged 44.56k.
>
> Our average rate for k56flex calls was 43.66kbps over this sample of the
> last 6642 PCM calls to our modest network of 4 PM3's in 2 cities. In our
> location, below 40k calls are certainly not unheard of, as you can see,
> but they are definitely in the minority. If your modem negotiates a PCM
> connection with us, you have about a 92% chance of getting a 42kbps or
> better initial connection.

Just to add another data point to this.. I just looked at the numbers
from our last 20,000 non-ISDN RADIUS start records:

Average (all): 28816
Average (k56): 44243

Looks pretty good to me. Also, 7% of calls were K56Flex, and K56Flex
speeds ranged from 34000 ot 50000.

Out of curiosity, I also analyzed the stop records.. since the reported
speeds are not always the same, it's possible that the PM3 is accurately
reporting the current speed right before disconnecting, which accounts
a bit for retrains.

Average (all): 28290
Average (k56): 42981

Still in the 40's, though it falls a bit.

--
	       Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>
	Director of Operations, NetMonger Communications, Inc.