Re: [jack.rickard@boardwatch.com: Re: (PM) Re: Nationwide Access - Please no Dweebs (fwd)]

Dick St.Peters (stpeters@NetHeaven.com)
Fri, 20 Feb 1998 14:38:28 -0500

Scott Rothgaber writes:
> On Thu, 19 Feb 1998, Karl Denninger wrote:
>
> > There was not ONE PCM connection running under 40kbps. NOT ONE. There
> > were a few 50kbps connections, and most were either 44kbps or 46kbps
>
> FWIW, it's exactly the same here. The lowest Flex connection I have even
> seen is from my own modem here in the shop. I have violated EVERY rule for
> running a phone line (three modems and two telephones on the same line,
> etc) and I STILL get no less than 38K. As for my customers, most nail
> 46-48 every time.

We see some connections below 40k; we log connections ranging from 32k
to 54k. This morning I picked a range of days and analyzed them. Our
last 3785 flex connections have averaged 44.56k.

As an experiment, we are running PRIs with 3 different provisionings
from two different telcos. Of those 3785 connections, 2872 were to
the PRIs we've decided are the winners. Somehow those connections
managed to average 45.00k exactly.

I was tempted to go back and pick a different range of days because
such an exact result looks contrived. It isn't though, and it is
certainly "mid forties." And it's for real users, with a real mix of
modems and line conditions, in field use, not in some test.

Either Boardwatch blew it or USR got the best test results advertising
money can buy.

--
Dick St.Peters, stpeters@NetHeaven.com
Gatekeeper, NetHeaven, Saratoga Springs, NY, 1-800-910-6671 (voice)