(PM) Re: OR-HS routing (was Re: your mail)

Josh Richards (jrichard@livingston.com)
Thu, 19 Feb 1998 13:12:41 -0800 (PST)

On 18 Feb 1998, Dennis D. Baker, Jr wrote:

> Thanks for the help on the PM3 memory question.
>

> At my office I have a OR-HS. I'd like to use it to dial into
> either the PM3 or a PM2e. Theses two servers share one class C block.
>
> I want to use the OR-HS to route several hosts at the office to
> the Internet, but I don't have the time nore the exp. to attempt to
> subnet everything just for one router all the way back to my backbone.
> Especialy if something goes wrong sense this is my only pipe. I am not
> running RIP or BGP or OSPF. Everything here stays very basic. :-)
>

> Should I just wait for network translation in a new OS or is there a
> simpler way to staticly route hosts on a 32bit subnet over the OR-HS?

You can do host (/32) routes via the dial-up interface. This isn't the
"cleanest" solution, and I don't recommened it as a long-term solution -
but for your situation it may be fine. If you are authenticating via
RADIUS, pick several IP addresses that are unused that you want to route
to your OR-HS, add an reply-item like the below for each IP address to be
routed to your user entry:

Framed-Route = "x.x.x.y my.ip.add.r 1"

Replace x.x.x.y with each IP address your are going to route to the OR-HS.
What you should see in your routing table ("show routes") is a /32
(what we are calling a "host route") entry for each of the IPs you are
going to use.

That should be correct... I just realized that it has been an extremely
long time since I last used that (routing /32s via RADIUS).

Anyhow, I *don't* recommend this at all if you find yourself having to do
more then a handful of IP addresses. If you end up needing to do this for
another client too at some point -- I would recommend going ahead and
doing the subnetting and running OSPF or similar. You'll be glad you did.

--jr

----
Josh Richards - <jrichard@livingston.com> - [Beta Engineer]
LUCENT Technologies - Remote Access Business Unit
(formerly Livingston Enterprises, Inc.)
http://www.livingston.com/