Re: (PM) Win95 Software Compression

Josh Richards (jrichard@livingston.com)
Sat, 14 Feb 1998 10:26:28 -0800 (PST)

On 14 Feb 1998, Brian Elfert wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Feb 1998, Don Lashier wrote:
>
> > Superstition. I have all my users check the box even tho I don't
> > have the stac cards, cause when I get them, I don't want to
> > reconfigure everyone. Never had a problem.
>
> You really should have everyone turn off software compression in Windows.
>
> Stac compression won't have any benefit if V.42Bis is turned on in the
> modem, and I doubt any of your users have V.42Bis turned off.
>
> I think throughput might actually be reduced if both Stac and V.42Bis are
> used, but I don't remember for sure.

The PM will automatically disable STAC on that port if V.42bis is
dectected as being active already. So it is not possible to be using both
at the same time.

----
Josh Richards - <jrichard@livingston.com> - [Beta Engineer]
LUCENT Technologies - Remote Access Business Unit
(formerly Livingston Enterprises, Inc.)
http://www.livingston.com/