Re: (PM) hubs w/ PM3s

Richard Stuplich (dick@dw.net)
Fri, 13 Feb 1998 17:48:41 -0600

At 07:06 AM 2/14/98 +0800, Amy spewed forth wrote:

>On Fri, 13 Feb 1998, Josh Richards wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 13 Feb 1998, Ben Conner wrote:
>>
>> > Does anyone have any recommendations for hubs used with multiple
>> > PM3s? I'm
>> > going to be adding a 2nd PM3 and understand they need an
>> > intelligent hub. ??
>>
>> Huh? Any hub should do..
>
>There should be an exam to purchase any Lucington equipment...
>
>Amy :)

I think that as long as the person doesn't ask "Where is the light
switch in my office? I can't see my PM3 in the dark." they are ok.

This question was reasonable if taken at face value. If someone told
Ben that they needed a hub to connect the units together, without any
extra info, he would assume that it needed to be compatible with the
Lucent hardware, and it does.

Simply a straight answer like:

If you use coax, you can do this with 2 T's, 2 Terminating Resistors
and 1 BNC cable.

Or...

You can get a 10BaseT hub and use 2 10BaseT cables to connect the
units.

See the manual for how to configure the Ethernet interface on the
hardware itself for BNC or 10BaseT.

Richard Stuplich Dick@dw.net
IP Engineer and Unix administrator Dick@Stuplich.net