Re: (PM) PM3 and RJ45 with 4 wires?

Jay Hennigan (jay@west.net)
Wed, 11 Feb 1998 22:14:01 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 11 Feb 1998, Mia's Virtual Post Office wrote:

> So whats the deal? Am I not getting something? Why does the RJ45 Ether
> cable that ships with the PM3 have only 4 wires instead of 8? Is this
> all it needs?

They are *not* ethernet cables.

They are T-1 cables, and have only pins 1,2,4, and 5 pinned straight
through. They are to connect the telco jack and the line connector on
the PM3.

Livingston probably saved around 10 cents per cable that way. I wonder
what it's costing their tech support department in phone calls. For a
few pennies more they could have pinned all four pairs, and the cables
would be usable for either T-1 or 10-base-T.

-- Jay Hennigan jay@west.net --
WestNet: Internet service to Santa Barbara, Ventura and the world.
805-892-2133 805-289-1000 805-578-2121