Re: (PM) Is my telco yanking my chain?

Dave Burgess (burgess@cynjut.neonramp.com)
Sun, 8 Feb 1998 13:25:52 -0600 (CST)

> On Tue, 27 Jan 1998, Jeff Woods wrote:
>
> > Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 22:43:15 -0500
> > From: Jeff Woods <jeff@delta.com>
> > To: portmaster-users@livingston.com
> > Subject: (PM) Is my telco yanking my chain?
>
> The fast busy (reorder) usually is a telco problem, I think this indicates
> the trunk group the call is supposed to be delivered to is out of service.
> It seems to me the last time we had this problem, someone at the CO had
> left a loopback plug where it didn't belong. I don't know about your
> carrier, but we usually need to call three or four different departments
> at the telco to get a PRI turned up.

For us, it means that the trunk from US West to our carrier is saturated
again. It seems to be a clear violation of the Telecomm Act, but no one
seems to care (except me and my customers).

At one point, they had routed all of my lines (over 50, less than 100)
onto the 24 line long haul trunk for one of the smaller communities south
of here. They apologize profusely and then left it broken for almost a
month.

As more customers switch away from US West, more and more of these
problems will occur. I expect the same thing to start happening with
'Cox Phone' now that that's available.

--
Dave Burgess                   Network Engineer - Nebraska On-Ramp, Inc.
*bsd FAQ Maintainer / SysAdmin for the NetBSD system in my spare bedroom