Re: (PM) PORTMAN

Richard Stuplich (dick@dw.net)
Fri, 6 Feb 1998 20:31:31 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 7 Feb 1998, Amy wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Feb 1998, Richard Stuplich wrote:
>
> > I was wondering why we set an Idle time for people, at all, when we have
> > free modems?
>
> Because they don't stay free forever, and if your user went skiing for the
> weekend, you're screwed until Monday.

Why would you care if they are idle for 4 days if you never have less than
50 free modems. That is the point. Why give people crap about long
sessions or idle times if you have 50 free modems. PortMan looks at the
total POOL load and then does what you have it configured to do, say if we
have less than 20 modems free then impose a 20 min idle time. This
is done by a port reset on the device so it doesn't matter that the
radius or portmaster has an infinate idle time. Boom, as soon as the guy
on for 4 days idle is seen in a load state you define, he gets hung up on.

> Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't the user profile settings only
> initialized upon connect?

In radius and the portmaster, yes. That is the cool thing about PortMan
it is active, it looks at your settings in it's config file and acts on
that.

> If you set the idel time to 0, and then later
> you change it, only the next set of users to dialin would get the new idle
> time, leaving your skier connected all weekend.

Yup, all weekend is fine with me. I have no less than 50 free modems in
this pool all weekend. They will think, holy cow, my ISP kicks ass! I'm
still on! No way any other ISP would do that. :-)