Re: (PM) !root password

Per Hedeland (per@erix.ericsson.se)
6 Feb 1998 09:52:17 GMT

Jake Messinger writes:
>On Wed, 4 Feb 1998, qcislands net gated newsgroup feed wrote:
>
>> Now I find that my new password doesn't work. This leads me to suspect
>> that one of the other people *somehow* hacked into the router and changed
>> the password ON ME!
>
>They would have had to have done it at the same moment as you.

Actually it would be sufficient that they were already logged in as
!root when he did the change, and changed it again anytime later but
before they logged out of that session. Kind of silly of them to change
it if they just wanted to keep their access though, as ComOS is "kind"
enough to reveal the old password when you change it - i.e. they could
have just learned the newly-set one by setting password to whatever and
back.

Of course, I'll refrain from commenting on how many times sysadmins (and
presumably ISPs where the users can change their password) have heard
*users* say "I changed my password, and now the new one doesn't work",
and their usual conclusion as to the cause - ooops, too late...:-) Well,
it happens to me too, at least on the stupid (and rarely-used) systems
that *force* a password change on you.

--Per Hedeland
per@erix.ericsson.se