Re: (PM) in.pmd documentation needed

Per Hedeland (per@erix.ericsson.se)
29 Nov 1997 16:14:14 GMT

Rich Bauer wrote:
> I need to know specifically
>how the entries in /etc/services and /etc/inetd.conf need to be created,

/etc/services:
pmd 1642/tcp

/etc/inetd.conf:
pmd stream tcp nowait root /usr/etc/in.pmd in.pmd

Can't remember where I found those, but I don't believe it was hard.:-)
Of course as with most any network service, the inetd.conf line is the
only one that cares where you install the binary.

>as well as their owner and file permissions.

Of /etc/services and /etc/inetd.conf? In.pmd doesn't care, but if you
care about your system's security they'd better be root-owned and non-
group-world-writable (as they hopefully already are). N.B. On Solaris
these are symlinks into the /etc/inet directory.

> Also, a one pager of how to use in.pmd would be nice.

I don't think there is much to it - as MZ said, you specify the device -
which should be a pseudo-tty of course - (and host unless it's the
"default") in the PM port config, and the PM tells in.pmd to grab
it. After that you can use the pseudo-tty mostly just like it was a
hardware one, baudrate settings etc can (dependent on the port's "host
overrides" settings") propagate to the port on the PM.

I've used it successfully on SunOS4 and Solaris to talk to modems and
other devices - even run the Solaris ppp over it.:-) I seem to remember
that there was some glitch with the way Solaris did pseudo-ttys -
symlinks everywhere:-) - but I'm afraid I can't remember exactly what.
Perhaps just that it caused problems if you specified a symlink of your
own to the PM like I did on SunOS4 (e.g. /dev/cua0 -> /dev/ttyrf) -
can't really see why though.

HTH
--Per Hedeland
per@erix.ericsson.se