Re: (PM) in.pmd documentation needed

Warren Vanichuk (pyber@prcn.org)
Fri, 28 Nov 1997 12:31:47 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 28 Nov 1997, Rich Bauer wrote:

> I don't know either. It's an advertised feature, and we need the capability.
> Nowhere that I search -- archives of the mailing lists, manuals, online
> guides -- can I find a comprehensive document on this in.pmd daemon.
>
> And MZ's response amounted to just blowing it off completely instead of
> providing assistance. Where's that excellent technical that they pride
> themselves on ?
>
> Not every customer uses PM products as remote access devices. There is still
> a need for adding serial ports to UNIX hosts and being able to share modems
> or other devices. If Livingston can't help me then I have to look at a
> another NAS solution.

I agree. Now that we have planned to migrate over to PM3s for our dialin
boxes, I was planning on using the PM2s, and all the spare modems, as shared
modems for things like faxes, and call-outs that our office, and various
partners would like to be able to do, but judging from recent emails, this
doesn't appear to be the painless solution I thought it to be.

Does anybody have an *success* stories in making PM2 boxen share modems
among a mix of Winbloze, Mac, and Unix based machines?

Sincerely, Warren