(PM) Re: win.com

Saliya Wimalaratne (saliya@hinet.net.au)
Thu, 27 Nov 1997 11:30:09 +1100 (AUS Eastern Daylight Time)

From: info@sltic.com
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 18:51:13 -0600
Subject: Re: (PM) Packard Bell

>At 06:07 PM 11/25/97 -0600, you wrote:
>>>Packard Bell running Windows 95. It is dialing into my PM2E-10 connects
>>>fine but doesn't resolve DNS...
>>I'm working on just such a problem. Packet traces reveal that the
>>Packard Hell is insisting on using netbios-ns to try and resolve names
>>(even though it has two valid nameservers according to winipcfg).
>>We are having the customer bring in the computer to try re-installing
>>off the CD to try and fix it, as just removing TCP/IP and putting it
>>back from the CAB files doesn't seem to be working.

>Check for a file "win.com" in the windows directory. The presence of this
>file seems to screw up DNS. Rename the file if it's there.

erm - not quite. The kb article in question says check for a win.com file
in the ROOT directory - c:\, d:\ ... if you rename the win.com file in the
WINDOWS directory, that's a good way to make sure Windows doesn't boot ;)

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q162/8/11.asp

Regards,

Saliya