Re: (PM) Compaq Presario 56k Modems

David Glynn (dglynn@mathware.com)
Tue, 25 Nov 1997 22:42:49 -0600

At 10:31 PM 11/25/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Greetings,
>
>I hooked up a customer tonight running a Compaq Presario k56flex modem
>running firmware v1.3.07. The best speed we could get out of it was 26.4k
>dialing into any of my PM3 POPs. The strange thing was the modem was go
>through the handshaking and negotiation, pause, retrain once and then
>authentication would begin. The end result was always a 26.4 connection.
>I have other 56k customers in the same telephone switch getting 48k. Has
>anyone else experienced this behavior with the Compaq 56k modems? ComOS is
>3.7.2

Hrumph, yeah, I've seen that. Do they have two phone lines? Around us it
usually means that their phone line has been multiplexed, and like it or
not, that is maxed out on a multi-plexed line. Had one user get a second
line for his modem, only to watch his connects drop from fat and happy 44k,
to a consistent 26.4k. GTE says tough beans, that's the way we do 'em.
Keeps the hours low on the Ditch-Witch.

Sucks big-time.

David Glynn
dglynn@mathware.com