Re: (PM) 28.8 & 33.6 modem negotiation

Florian Lohoff (flo@mini.gt.owl.de)
Fri, 21 Nov 1997 16:10:21 +0100 (MET)

On Thu, 20 Nov 1997, Dan Stegman wrote:

> Howdy all!
>
> Got a question for everyone on how well their 28.8K and 33.6K users are
> connecting to the PM3's with 56K modem cards. We have lot's of users who

BAD ... I discovered it myself. Before i did the 56KFlex Upgrade i NEVER
had a failed connect. But at the moment i normally need 2-3 Trys
to get a connect. I use a noname V.34 Modem with Rockwell chipset ...

An customer reports that he gets connects with his V.34 Rockwell modem
but then only gets a trashed screen (Terminal Program). Seems like
a failed Error Correction handshake.

> aren't able to get online consistently due to negotiation continuing until
> timeout. The commas after the phone number trick doesn't work as well as
> I'd like, especially for users who barely have an idea on how to open

Hmmm ... thats an idea ... ill try that ....

> are needed, at Livingston Tech Support's suggestion). All the link
> suggestions he offered are for 56K modems, which doesn't help. Those
> people I can give the old firmware excuse to, but others don't like it when
> I tell them that 56K modems don't like their modems due to hardware
> incompatibilites or manufacturers (old modems, not the new ones) not
> following the standards to the letter. If anyone has any better

At the moment i only have 2 Customers with KFlex based modems and at the
moment i am not sure if this should be the reason for the quality loss
for the others ...

At the moment i am not that happy with the modem upgrade ...

Flo

--
Florian Lohoff     mailto:flo@mini.gt.owl.de      Phone:+49-5241-470566
Privates Internet Ostwestfalen-Lippe, Guetersloh - http://www.gt.owl.de