Re: (PM) Static on Lines

Stephen Fisher (lithium@cia-g.com)
Wed, 19 Nov 1997 20:49:33 -0700 (MST)

Please fix your mailer so it wraps correctly..

On Wed, 19 Nov 1997, Kevin Madsen wrote:

> I have a problem with users complaining about bad static on the line. I
> have experienced this once from home. It seems to effect all users when
> it happens and lasts for a short time (several hours). This weems to
> happen across two PM3-2t and 4 CT1 lines. The portmasters are running
> 3.7.2 with all new K56flex cards. The T1s are CT1, ESF, B8ZS, E&M. I
> find it hard to believe that the telco (USWorst) would have problems
> accross 4 T1 lines?!

I don't find it hard to believe anymore. Did you see my message I sent
earlier? We had the lines set to ESF/B8ZS when US West's switch was set
to ESF/AMI!

> I have attached sh line0 sh line1 command outputs below. The only thing
> I notice that is strange is the recieve levels. Could this be the

They should be fine.. AFAIK.

> problem?! Has anybody had ANY symptoms like this?

We had a lot of renegotations and noise on the lines including random
times when you called when with a normal phone and hear static along with
the modem answering!

> I have a ticket open with Livingston and USWorst concerning this. The
> first item that would help would be any undocumented commands that help
> isolate a single channel on a T1 line that may be having some problems,
> line quality, etc. USWest is asking me to provide them with a channel
> that is having problems. I don't see how to do that with the
> Portmasters, especially if I can't get connected (never shows up in sh
> modem or sh ses).
>
> If you have static problems, please respond to me so we can pool our
> knowlege (i.e. gang up on USWest/Livingston) and get a quicker answer.
> This is CRITICAL!

Definately see my previous message and make sure the settings are correct
between you and Us West.. they weren't between me and them!

Ooh I notice you have wink start - we had a lot of problems also with wink
start between the PM3's and US West since US West's timing of the winks on
the switch needed the winks on the PM3 to be much more narrow in length
(something like 210-240ms when the PM3 did 140-250ms). I would (and did)
switch them to immediate start - place an order with US West to have them
changed....

I notice you're getting loss of sync errors.. which could very well be
caused by this.. check the signalling first.. at the same time check the
encoding/framing settings with us west's switch (it took 2.5 weeks for us
to get the signalling changed but it causd a LOT of inital connection
problems).

Gotta love US West.