Re: (PM) ComOS 3.7.2 and Reboots (fwd)

Kelley Lingerfelt (pm2e@cococo.net)
Mon, 17 Nov 1997 21:32:46 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 17 Nov 1997, MegaZone wrote:

> Once upon a time Kelley Lingerfelt shaped the electrons to say...
> > Question to LE, why do we have to power down, shouldn't a reboot,
> >simulate a power down as far as the PRI line is concerned?
>
> If the distance is so great, the telco may need to see the complete
> abscence of termination on the line that being powered off brings. Rebooting
> only resets everything, power is still present in the CSU/DSU.

That evidently is the situation, we are anywhere from 10 to 15 miles
from the CO at the remote POP. I believe our best option is to go with the
remote control module on the UPS.

> That *should* be more than enough to reset the line. If you are so marginal
> that a complete ground state (no power) is required to kick the switch into
> resetting, things are very hairy.

Yes, it is a hairy situation, when the lines go out, the majority of the
times, it does require someone to be at the remote site to remedy. It
always happens during those damn East Tennessee storms. Any kind of
little electrical glitch and we lose the PRIs. We have a UPS at the site,
I sometimes wonder about the telco up there though.

Later
Kelley