RE: (PM) Diff betw T1-Span & Ethernet Cables?

Phil Taylor (Phil@lansystems.co.uk)
Mon, 17 Nov 1997 10:52:38 -0000

1/2 inch ???

That's a lot, when I terminate CAT5 cables I NEVER allow more than 6mm
(1/4 inch) to be untwisted before the IDC termination.

I seem to remember the CAT5 spec is 6mm (or there abouts).

Cheers

Phil

btw, I've seen some (supposedly) CAT5 installations installed with >
50mm (2 inches) of untwisted cable, I was called in as the customer was
having timeout problems on some of the longer runs. Sure enough when I
tested it with my PentaScanner, the NEXT was way off. I suppose that's
what happens when phone installers start doing networks :-)