Re: (PM) PM3 req's for CT1 for 5ESS

Robert M. Gutierrez (rmg@corp.webtv.net)
Thu, 13 Nov 1997 16:48:34 -0800

Watch out! We just converted some CT1's from Brooks's 5E in Santa Clara,
Calif to PRI because the talk path did not open to a PM3 we're
testing after a wink. We originally had some E&M immediate start
trunks from Brooks and when a call came into a PM3 the PM3 would
provide the v.8 tone but could not hear an answerback from the caller
and subsequently would not negotiate a connection at all. Livingston
support said it was our carrier, so Brooks changed it to E&M wink
with no DNIS digits. That yelded the same results. We gave up on CT1.

The PM3 was then plugged into an MCI PRI and it worked fine. The
PRI price from Brooks was incremental to us, so we converted (as
I type this!)

We were testing a Cisco AS5200 and it worked fine on both immed start
and wink from the same Brooks CT1's. Got 44-48k connections every time.
We'd probably get more but there's some noisy interoffice/tandem trunks on
Pac Bell here in Palo Alto and I just haven't had the time to call in a
trouble ticket (as if they'd listen anyway).

Brooks's price is *very* competitive and they offer on-net NXX forwarding
and one of their PRI packages _does_ include DNIS and CNID (Caller
ID, which is different (in politics only) from ANI). Pac Bell
is *not* tarriffed for CNID on PRI (though you may get it by mistake
as the 5ESS generic has CNID on by default for PRI -- DMS-100's have
it off by default). If you order, remember to order inbound only
trunks as that's where the cost savings is at.

rob.

p.s...We'd love to keep/use the PM3, but a show stopper right now is
we need/use different radius port numbers for auth and acct'ng.
The USR's and Cisco's do that right now.