Re: (PM) Livingston manager spamming!

Joe Hartley (jh@brainiac.com)
Thu, 13 Nov 1997 17:39:45 -0500 (EST)

Kevin Smith <kevin@ascend.com> wrote:
At 12:01 PM 11/2/97 -0800, Damien T. wrote:
>At 01:08 AM 11/2/97 -0700, Stephen Fisher wrote:
>>
>>Don't forget Ascend.
>
>Heh! Well Steve, Ascend doesn't call very often <g>! I still have not
>forgotten the Ascend SPAM to this mailing list around this time last year
>though...

OK, I got it...Ascend SPAM is bad since that's really SPAM.*
Livingston SPAM is OK since we like Livingston ;)

* I eventually found out who did this, and why...it was quite an
eye-opener to their Boss, and needless to say we don't use that firm for our
lead-generating since then.

Ascend made my $h!+ list about a year ago when I was getting 3-4 unwanted
faxes from them every week. I'd tried to get our machine taken off the
list, to no avail. One night, I kept getting the same 10 page fax over and
over again, rendering the machine unusable. I finally had to pull the plug on
it after about an hour.

Of course, this was all after hours, so none of the contact numbers listed
worked, meaning that nothing was going to happen until the AM. I left some
voicemail that, while in no way obscene, probably melted a few handsets.

They called the next day and apologized, and even made sure our fax number
was removed from whatever list they use, but ever since, Ascend's been at the
bottom of the list of hardware vendors I'd choose to deal with (Sorry, Kevin!)

Sometimes it's not the product that's the problem, it's the marketing.
The only way advertising seems to affect me is negatively; I will actively
avoid a product based on their ads, no matter how good it is. For example,
the fscking "Toyotathon" rankles me so that I'd rather drive a '68 Fury III
again than buy one of their cars. They're good cars, I've been told, but I
won't buy one.

Same with Ascend. They caused my company to have to explain to people
why they couldn't fax us applications that evening. They may have fine
boxes, but I won't be buying one.

A long rant, and completely off-topic, but comparing the email from
Mike against the Ascend faxes, Mike's mail caused me to make a bookmark to
a site I may need soon; Ascend's faxes p!ssed me right off!