RE: (PM) PM3 & DHCP

Phil Taylor (Phil@lansystems.co.uk)
Thu, 13 Nov 1997 17:11:10 -0000

>From the ComOS 3.7.2 Release Notes, I assume that it relies on an actual
DHCP request from the client, so I'm not sure if it is any use to you as
you need the address to be assigned at the IPCP stage. To be honest it's
not something I have ever looked at as our DHCP pool is on an entirely
different network to our dial-in pool and we have enough problems
forceing our DHCP server to release old addresses as it is so I really
wouldn't want to use DHCP for dial-in assignments.

Cheers

Phil

New Features in ComOS 3.7.2

DHCP Proxy

ComOS 3.7.2 supports the new "set dhcp-server Ipaddress" command.
In previous releases (and by default in ComOS 3.7.2) the PortMaster
replies directly to a BOOTP request from a dial-in client. In ComOS
3.7.2, if you set a Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) Server
on the PortMaster, the PortMaster does not reply directly to BOOTP
requests but instead forwards BOOTP and DHCP requests to the DHCP
server, as described in RFC 1542, "Clarifications and Extensions for the
Bootstrap Protocol."