Re: (PM) PM3 & DHCP

Jake Messinger (jake@ams.com)
Thu, 13 Nov 1997 09:50:36 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 13 Nov 1997, Jukka Pakkanen wrote:

> > > I agree, the idea of dhcp is just that. And because the
> > > client already has dhcp server set up, why should
> > > they also use PM3 assigned addresses or RADIUS...?
> >
> > Because it works. I cant speak first hand, but Ive heard that DHCP doesnt
> > alwayws work right.
>
> I think we are talking about different things here...

Possibly, but I understand your point.

> We have a customer who uses DHCP to assign IP
> addresses to the LAN. Now that they have PM3 for
> RAS, they of course want to use the same IP pool
> instead of setting up another pool for them.
>
> Why wouldn't DHCP work?? I think it's pretty well
> tested and used service... Another thing is if PM3
> supports it, and that's what I'd like to know.

Its just what Ive heard. If it works, then great! So back to your orignal
request of whether it will assign ip addresses based on DHCP. Well lets
see. They have remote locations dialing into the local lan, right? Just 1
PC on the other end? Or more, it doesnt matter. Since the DHCP server is
on the local lan side, then the PM 3 would HAVE to understand how to get
an IP address from the DHCP server to pass it along for the remote guy.
Hrm, what about some sort of shim between dhcp and radius? OR, there
RADIUS could be written to transmit DHCP requests and receive ip #'s for
users when they dial in rather than address=assigned or address=(specific
ip). I dont think Livingston radius does that but I know there are other
radiuses out there that are ore win 95/nt oriented.

Did you try an infoseek search with "DHCP RADIUS" ??

I found a product called: NTXacs RADRAS Client, which seems to be abloe to
do what you want. Its at http://www.itrans.com/about.html#RADRAS

Jake Messinger 713-772-6690 jake@ams.com
Advanced Medical Systems, Inc. jake@uh.edu
8300 Bissonnet #400 fax: 713-774-3498