Re: (PM) Netstats not good

Tom (tom@sdf.com)
Fri, 7 Nov 1997 23:59:56 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 7 Nov 1997, David Edwards wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Just noticed that my netstats on my PM3 aren't looking too good. Guess I'm
> starting to pump too much through the hub I have. Would you agree?
>
> pm3> sho netstat
> Name Ipkts Ierrs Opkts Oerrs Collis Resets Queue
> ether0 976272 1796 1011842 3 573189 8 0
>
> Would you think its time for a switch instead of the hub I have now?
> Any recommendations on low cost - high performance switches?

It looks really bad. Ethernet should not really get collision rates
that high. According research DEC did, as demand increases, collisions
eventually level off. How busy is the ethernet? Cable problems can cause
excessive collisions, as well as bad hubs.

As for switches, I like the Cisco Catalyst 1900. It is pretty cheap.
You will likely get burned buying anything too cheap. Check latency of
the switch.

> Thanks in advance,
>
> David Edwards
> Black Oak Computers