Re: (PM) OR-U: no default route to learned IP address?

John Kelly (jak@cetlink.net)
Fri, 07 Nov 1997 18:56:22 -0500

Jake Messinger <jake@ams.com> wrote:

>> >You dont need to set up a default route to the learned address. The
>> >default route is used as last resort.
>>
>> A last resort? As opposed to what? A connection from my local
>> net to the Internet should always be defined by means of a default
>> route, no?
>
>Once a point to point connection is made, it adds the route in the routing
>table from the router to the remote location.

I know. PPPD running on FreeBSD does the same thing.

>The default route is what to try if it does not have any routes
>in the routing table.

True, but what is the point you are making?

I can tell FreeBSD to add a default route via a learned IP address at
the far end of my PPP link, automatically as soon as PPP gets the
address from the Portmaster. FreeBSD lets me accept *any* IP address,
not necessarily a static IP address, from the Portmaster and then
FreeBSD automatically sets my Internet gateway because it will add a
default route to the far end of the PPP link. Without the default
route, no traffic destined for the Internet would go out. I'm certainly
not going to set up explicit routes for every Internet destination I
want to reach. That's the whole point of using a default route!

I can't do that with an OR-U, can I?

That's the crux of this discussion but we seem to be going in circles.

John